Monday, May 10, 2010

Half the fridge soup

When the week is dragging on and pay day hasn't turned up yet, we start to get a bit tired of what is left in the fridge.

That's when it's time to make "half the fridge soup".

I pull out every vegetable in there and decide what is, and what isn't going to go into the soup.

Things that usually make it are...

carrots
celery
onion
garlic
sweet potato
pumpkin
tomato
beans (snap and/or dried)
peas
corn
parsnip

If I had my way cabbage, cauliflower and broccili would be added, but as they are "not allowed in the house!" I have to find alternatives, such as spinach which is tolerated as long as I hide it in other things.

I cut everything up small and throw it in the pot, only just covering it with water. Put the lid on and cook until all the vegies are soft.

Season, keeping the salt to a minimum - if you use stock instead of water it's probably seasoned enough. Remember, you can always add more, but you can't take away.

Put 3/4 of it into the blender, then add it back to the remainder.

Serve, sprinkle some shallots or thinly sliced raw beans on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment